26 August 2013

t-shirt quilt

All of my upcycling projects culminated in this pièce de résistance...the t-shirt quilt.  It took me months to make, mainly because I had no clue what I was doing, but I'm quite proud of the finished product.

When I say I didn't know what I was doing, I mean I had never quilted before or even really watched anyone make a quilt.  I kept thinking that at some point my inexperience would cause me to make a fatal error, but surprisingly everything worked out well.  The main flaws that exist are due to the fact that I was working with jersey which can be a bit annoying.  ecokaren blogged about her t-shirt quilt, and her tip to apply interfacing to the t-shirt material was a lifesaver.  Besides that I learned the quilting basics from a library book, and used pretty prudent's quilt binding cheat to finish the edges.

Binding cheat = fold over the backing
In summary, I would encourage anyone to try this project.  It's a great way to keep your special t-shirts! I was able to do all this with my sewing machine without purchasing a quilting foot.  The interfacing made all the difference in the world, and having a bit of experience with sending jersey through the sewing machine before did help--it's good to understand your fabric.

No comments: